Pages

Monday, November 23, 2015

IN THE KITCHEN: Homemade Natural Dog Treats

Hi - Hope you had a nice weekend.  I don't know about you, but I find when the weekend rolls around, there's never enough time to get things done.   And, lately, with my back bothering me, it's impossible to do it ALL.  I am looking forward to the short work week and spending Thanksgiving with family.

So, yesterday I spent the most of the afternoon in the kitchen, trying my hand at baking dog treats.  I saved some recipes on Pinterest for inspiration.

I made three recipes but today I'll share one of them with you.

Carrots and Banana Natural Dog Treats:



I used a recipe found on Pinterest from 17apart.com.  The recipe seemed easy enough.   I didn't have any of the items but found them at Fairway Market.  And, I specifically went there because I had to find and bake the rainbow carrots!

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup of cornmeal
  • 1 bunch of fresh carrots, finely chopped
  • 2-3 fresh bananas 
  • 1 egg (beaten)
  • 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of cold water.


For the carrots, I first cut them in slices and then chopped them in the food processor.

I used two bananas and next time I'll try using three. I thought it would overpower the recipe but it didn't. 




You'll want to combine all your dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, cornmeal and brown sugar) in a large mixing bowl.  Next, incorporate the carrots, bananas, beaten egg, oil and water.  Blend all ingredients together to form a dough.  You can use your spoon, spatula and/or hands to really combine the ingredients.


Heating Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  If you don't have a non stick baking sheet, be sure to grease your sheets or your parchment paper.


To roll out the dough, have your work area ready and floured.  This recipe calls for about a 1/2 inch thickness.  You can cut the cookies into any shape.  I have a 4 inch dog bone cookie cutter I purchased at Chef Central.

Once you've laid out all your cookies onto the baking sheet - place in oven and cook for 35 minutes.


After baking, place cookies on cooling rack.  Once cool, package and decorate!

You can place extra in the freezer for later.  They make perfect gifts!

I loved the idea of wrapping in parchment paper and twine.  Too cute.  I added a label to mine to give to my fur moms as a little treat for their doggies. 



Well, one out of my two dogs liked them.  Monty is very selective, while Quincy eats everything!!

Thank you at 17apart.com for sharing your recipe.  I loved making something natural and homemade for my pooches

xo,


No comments:

Post a Comment