Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

THE GIFT OF GIVING . . . WINTER WISHES

 

image via New York Cares.org
 
With all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, I wanted to take a moment and share with you my gift of giving. 

I participated in the New York Cares Winter Wishes program (you can view the link here).  This program was offered through my job and I decided to join in and purchase a gift for a child who is less fortunate . . . who doesn't receive gifts.

How many of us spend money on things we really don't need?  Some might consider that a luxury.  When you think about all the people out there who are less fortunate than us, it's heartbreaking.  If I can do this small part in buying a child or teenager a gift they want, then why not? 

I didn't have a preference as to whether or not the letter came from a boy or girl, a child or a teenager.  I received my letter from an 8 year old boy.  His gift request wasn't over the top.  What grabbed at my heart strings was what he wrote in the letter.  Here's what he wrote:

"Dear Santa,  My name is [________] and I am 8 years old. 
I want a Lego building set that I can play with my brother."
 

This young boy wanted "Santa" to know he wanted a present that he could share and play with his brother.  What a selfless child.  So, I researched the internet, asked friends who have children, what Lego sets were popular for an 8 year old boy.  I don't have children so I was pretty clueless.  I didn't want to disappoint this little boy and wanted to find the perfect Lego set that he and his brother could play with.

Because of time constraints, I had to hit the stores to find a set for him.  I thought I had my mind made up before hitting the store but when I got there and saw all the options, my head was spinning.  Will he like this one or that one better?  After 10-15 minutes of looking through every Lego set for his age group, I made my choice(s).  I wrapped it up and handed my gift in today.

I wish I can see his face when he opens his gift and hope he's one happy little boy.

A big thanks to my job for participating in this program and a special thanks to New York Cares for developing this organization.  It started in the 1980s and now is the city's largest volunteer organization.

xo

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure the little boy (and his brother) will love it and love playing with it together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right! It puts a smile to my face :)

    ReplyDelete