Pages

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

TURN IT UP TUESDAYS

Photo album cover from Charles Bradley's website http://thecharlesbradley.com/.

 
I'm a big music lover!  I'm pretty much open to listening to all types of music.  There are some genres that are my favs . . . classic rock, the oldies, folk, pop, techno, blues, jazz; just to name a few.

I listen to music when I'm writing on my blog.  I listen to music when I ride the bus into NYC every day.  I listen to music when I walk, clean, decorate and create.  There something about the great voices of the singers and the tunes playing in the background. 

Everyone can tell a story of when music has inspired them and uplifted them.  I can remember old boyfriends making cassette tapes (I'm showing my age!) of love songs and heart break songs.  When we are at the gym or any form of exercise, we get pumped up with music.  Music is being played at gatherings and on road trips.  We listen to music whatever mood we are in: happy or sad.  Music is played in stores and some restaurants. Music is in movies and shows.  I can go on and on . . .

On my blog, Inspiration in Stages, I will share an artist every week.  Someone who inspires me in some way.  I will share an artist that I recently learned about and you can do the same!  I will share my favorites too.  I will post different genres weekly.

The artist I want share with you today is someone I learned about from watching the show, Suits http://www.usanetwork.com/suits (one of my favorite shows!).  The song was playing in the background.  I hit the pause button on the remote and grabbed my iphone to Shazam the song (technology is amazing).  I downloaded the song, "The World (Is Going Up in Flames)" by Charles Bradley.  Watch video here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moiUyFQQE-0

Charles Bradley is an American funk/soul/R&B singer.  This man sings from the soul; sings about struggles and hard times.  For twenty years he worked odd jobs and played in small shows.  It was only until a few years ago that he was recognized in a big way; debut album No Time For Dreaming in 2011.  Charles Bradley was inspired when he saw James Brown perform at the Apollo Theatre in 1962.  He mimicked J. Brown's style of singing.  You can tell by listening to Charles Bradley, that his voice is similar.  He is right up there with James Brown and Otis Redding. 

Charles Bradley is just another example of someone who was inspired.  He inspires me . . . no matter how hard life is and the hiccups we face along the way, we move forward with patience and determination.  Like his album cover says, "No Time for Dreaming"; if you want something, you have to work hard to get it.  The reward will be great.



2 comments:

  1. Love this new weekly post! I will get to add new songs to my itunes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rose Angel. So happy you like it!

    ReplyDelete