Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

HOME DESIGN: Master Bedroom Makeover: Before and After



So excited to share with you, our master bedroom makeover reveal.  While the bedroom is missing one last item . . . window treatments, I wanted to show you the rest of the room!
Here are some "before" shots of our master bedroom, from seven years ago.  The room looks dark and drab (what the heck was I thinking??).  Now, that I look back at pictures . . . the room seems a bit boring.  Why is it that every other room gets the most attention and the bedroom is low priority? When we moved into our home, I was too anxious to get all the major rooms furnished and did take the time and attention when it came to the bedroom.  I guess it's a good thing because now I could give it the attention it needs.  The room was originally painted “Indian River” by Benjamin Moore (the "before").  While still a very pretty color, this time around, I wanted to create a softer and lighter design. 

Since moving into the new home, my taste has changed throughout the years (my husband has to put up with me and my decorating ideas).  Just knowing you can transform a space with a little paint and different accessories is major.  And, you don't have to break the bank doing so!



Going to try my hand at converting these rod pocket panels into French pleated ones and purchasing acrylic and chrome rods.  If I can't pull it off, I have to think of Plan B.  I also need to hang them higher (lesson learned).


And, now . . . the "After" photos!!






The prettiest and largest, soft white ranunculus with bright pink roses.


I'm loving my monogrammed duvet cover.  Add such a nice, personal touch.
Our television looks so tiny (lol).  Good thing we don't watch much television in this room.  Eventually it will need to be replaced.  It came with me when I lived at my parent's apartment.
A simple tray to display or place your day to day items (CB2).  I am also loving this high gloss, round tray here.



Adding a floor length mirror was a necessity and creates functionality when getting ready.




I fell in love with this fashion illustration of the model in a feathered gown.  It compliments the wallpaper nicely, wouldn't you agree? 



Fashion illustrations by Jessica Illustration (Etsy shop).  Accessories for my side of the bed.



For this makeover, I chose a color palette of ivory, gray and white and incorporated different metals of gold and silver. The inspiration came from bedroom designs that reflected a calm and serene look.  I wanted the room to feel light and to tone down the heaviness of all the dark wood furniture.  I wanted to bring different textures and layers to the room.

Let's talk paint.  I wanted to go in the direction of gray tones, to bring out the unusual gray color tone of our upholstered headboard.  Depending on the lighting, the headboard appears gray with a lavendar undertone or taupe.  I wanted to find a paint color in a light gray to compliment the headboard.  I chose “Barren Plains” by Benjamin Moore.  It’s a soft, light gray.  Immediately, the room lightened up!  And, that speaks volumes, especially since our bedroom furniture is a dark walnut. 

Inspiration also came from this beautiful, feathered, wallpaper design by Carl Robinson, Monte Carlo edition.  You can read my blog post here for all the details.  This was a definite splurge out of the whole makeover, but so well worth it!  Once the wallpaper was installed, it created an extra layer of calmness. The texture and print of the wallpaper really grounded the room.  I immediately wanted to grab my feathered pillow and jump into bed.



I'm truly happy with the way the room turned out with these changes.  And, even though I did not buy new furniture or change the placement of the furniture, the room feels and looks SO different!


I'll keep you posted about the window treatments.   Originally, there was an accent chair in the corner of my husband's side of the room.  I took it out because the fabric design is the wrong color (stick with neutral colors).  Still thinking of other options if I don't decide to reupholster it.

Master Bedroom Details:


Bedroom furniture: Lumine Collection (no longer available) (Thomasville)
Duvet cover:  Italian Hotel Satin Stitch Ivory with Ash (Restoration Hardware (on sale)) with custom monogramming
Sunburst Mirror:  Purchased from an interior designer years ago
Pillows:  Grey Mongolian Faux Fur Pillow Cover - 18"x18" (Best Home Fashion)
Alphabet Throw (Pottery Barn); gray no longer available but available in navy
Wall mirror, bust, crystal lamps, acrylic and tufted bench and area rug (HomeGoods)
Picture frames (IKEA)
Home accessories: H and M Home store, West Elm, CB2, Williams Sonoma Home, One Kings Lane, vintage shops

Thank you all for stopping by.  I hope you enjoyed our bedroom makeover, as I enjoy sharing my designs with you.



xo,

1 comment:

  1. I love how you managed to make it look completely different without having to buy new furniture. Such a great job you did!!!

    ReplyDelete