Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2015

WHAT'S FOR DESSERT . . . GUAVA PASTRIES

After the holidays I decided to try my hand at making guava pastries. My sister made them a while back and it had me craving them. My dad, recently was able to get them for me but the bakery closed. 

For those who like the guava taste, this is something you must try.  As a child, I can recall our visits to see our great grandmother and stopping at the Spanish bakery.  I still remember the scent of that bakery, with its fresh bread and pastries.  It was such a treat for us.  And, if we were allowed to have a whole one (instead of sharing) was an even better treat! 

Guava pastries (a/k/a, "Pastelitos de guava") are common in the Spanish/Caribbean culture: Puerto Ricans, Columbians, Cubans and Dominicans.

NOW . . . my guava pastries aren't nearly as good as the ones made at the bakery; with its towering flaky puff, oozing with guava and topped with powdered sugar.  Mmmm, mmmm, mmm!  I need to perfect the pastry and make it thicker/higher.  But, at my first time making them, they were a hit with my family.




Here's what you'll need:

Ingredients 

1 box of puff pastry 
8 oz guava paste
1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, beaten
1 tablespoon granulated sugar (I didn't use the full tablespoon)
Powdered sugar for dusting

Directions

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees

Bring out your puff pastry:  I used one that I had in the freezer from Trader Joe.  You can also use Pillsbury or any other puff pastry you can find.

Allow your pastry sheets to thaw out before unrolling them on a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper)
Guava paste.  Note:  Don't substitute for jelly (will be too runny when baking).  If you can find the one pictured above, they do sell them in blocks.  You're going to cut the the paste in pieces to fill in your puff pastry.
After you roll out the puff pastry sheets, cut some guava paste in pieces and place them on top.  You can determine how much guava you want, with the pieces you cut.  


In the picture shown above, I made nine pastries.  If you use a different puff pastry, you might end up with a bigger sheet, having more pastries.  

Take one egg and a tablespoon of water, beat well.
With the egg wash, brush the uncovered portions (all around the guava).  By doing so, this will ensure the top of the puff pastry sheet to stick nicely (as seen in the picture below).

Using your fingers, press the two sheets together all around the sides and the moulds. 
Next:  With the egg wash, brush the top.  Then, with a sharp knife, cut a hole in the center of each mould.  Finally, sprinkle some granulated sugar, on top of the dough.

Place the sheet on the top rack and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.

Allow them to cool for 10-15 minutes before sprinkling powered sugar.  And these bad boys are reading to eating!



Next attempt, I will use a different puff pastry.  You can also add cream cheese to this recipe but I chose not to (not a big fan in my family).

Enjoy!

xo,

No comments:

Post a Comment